You should consult your doctor if you have this ganglion on your wrist


When certain lesions or bumps appear on our palms, wrists or fingers, we tend to blame different accidents, insect bites or bruises. Despite this, such symptoms may indicate higher health problems, some of which require special medical attention.

If you have a ganglion on your wrist, this hides a much greater medical problem than you might imagine. If you have it for a long time, it would be advisable to consult a specialist.

Medical science calls this ganglion a hygroma (cyst ganglion) of the wrist. It’s a benign form that takes the form of a capsule or a cyst. Few people know that such swellings are not just a matter that you can ignore, as they are a real threat to their health.

Most often, the cyst appears on the wrist and may feel soft to the touch. But in some cases, it can grow in other places, such as:

– on the surface of the palm – in the center or closer to the thumb
– on the inner surface of your fingers – in the phalanx or joint region
Why do these cysts occur? The reasons that lead to these ganglions are not always easy to determine. There are, however, some primary factors that are being discussed in the world of modern medicine. These are:

– the poor inability of the bone-joint apparatus
– a recent lesion, a sprain or a fractured bone healed incorrectly
– degenerative joint diseases and inflammation of soft tissue of the wrist
prolonged and repeated movements on the wrist (a habit for musicians, tailors, and computer users)

The appearance of this ganglion is accompanied by the following symptoms:

– the skin turns red, starting to break apart
– pain due to irritation of the surrounding tissues
– increased or decreased skin sensitivity caused by the fact that the ganglion is growing and puts pressure on blood vessels and nerve endings.

Diagnosis: Even if there is no risk that this cyst may turn into a malignant tumor, don’t postpone the doctor’s visit. Diagnosis is usually not a problem, due to the nature of its symptoms. It is advised to consult a surgeon or a pediatrician to determine the exact cause of the disease and to take the necessary steps to receive effective treatment.